Sunday, September 13, 2009

Does Facebook Replace Face Time or Enhance it?

The article “Does Facebook Replace Face Time or Enhance it?” wrote by Lisa Selin Davis drew my attention for several reasons which I mentioned below:
First of all, I am a Facebook user and every day spend several hours interacting with my friends and family members through Facebook, especially those who live far and I am unable to meet them. Facebook helped me to communicate with them in an effective way, so I have enough enthusiasm to analyze a text about my favorite topic and possibly more ideas to express my feelings or compare them with author’s ideas.
Second, the word “Replace” took my attention because although Facebook is a great communication tool, I believe Face to Face relationship cannot be replaced by anything at all. Interestingly, I figured out the writer mentioned it tacitly in the final paragraph when she requested her busy friend a get-together.
Third, I liked the writer’s tone. It is very casual and easy to understand which is important for me as an ESL student. However in some parts manner of expression in the text is pleading and it seems that the author tries to explain how Facebook is an easy and effective tool for communication with other people even though they are busy. For example, she stated “I don’t see how that (Facebook) can be a bad thing” to emphasized on her idea.

2 comments:

  1. The article title does catch a person’s attention. I would think anything other than a webcam or live coverage would take away from face time. Instant messaging was the first “quick” communication that I used, then My Space. Now there is Facebook and Twitter. Electronic age is pushing us further and further away from close casual communication. I will admit I write my friends more via the internet rather than snail mail, but I miss the facial expression and the inflection in their voice.
    Seth

    ReplyDelete
  2. snail mail...I don't think anyone uses that anymore unless it's bills!

    ReplyDelete